I ran my first marathon on January 17th and it was another plant powered success. I’ve been completely plant based for 353 days now, and have accepted that this is the way my body was made to eat. I don’t want to bore you with a race recap, but I do want to point out that I completed it in 3:22:58, which was better than my stretch goal of 3:30:00. I was very proud of my effort.
What makes me so happy is that while others around me were sucking down gels, dealing with heart burn, and battling hunger, I was happily running without any gut discomfort, muscle cramping, or pain. Sure my body got tired towards the end, but my last mile was faster than my first. So what did I eat? Here’s the 12 hours of food that fueled my run.
- Large glass of water
- Subway sandwich (this is unusual, but it seemed to work well for my tummy)
- 32ox green smoothie (kale, collards, almonds, chia seeds, blueberries, strawberries, banana, water, Vega)
- 2 cups of coffee
- 24oz of water
- cliff bar (this is unusual for me too)
- 1 date
During the Run
- sips of water during the first hour then
- 5 dates (1 every 30 minutes)
- Vega electrolytes (20oz sipped as needed)
- 2 banana’s
Later at Home
- tomato avocado sammy
- huge green smoothie
- rice and veggies
And that’s it.