Sunday I completed a half Ironman triathlon. The half is made up of a 1.2 mile swim, followed by a 56 mile bike, and topped off with a 13.1 mile run. It tends to be a 5 to 7 hour event where people of all ages push themselves to their limit. This was my second 70.3. What made this one special was that I did it entirely on a plant based diet and I beat my time by 4 minutes ! I thought about writing a recap of the race, but instead of boring you with the race details, I’ve decided to outline my nutrition plan.
Drive to the Race
- 1 piece of toast
- 1 large coffee
- 1 large glass of water
- Green Smoothie just after parking
- 16 oz bottle of water 30 minutes before the swim
- 1 bottle of water mixed with Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator sipped throughout the ride
- 2 bottles of water (one on the bike and one from the hand outs)
- 5 dates, 00:15, 00:45, 1:30, 1:45, 2:15
- 2 Cliff Bar, 1:00, 2:15
- 1 bottle of water mixed with Vega, sipped it every 10 minutes or when I felt like cramps were coming on.
- 4 dates, mile 3, 6, 9, 11, could have use a few more
- 1 orange
- Another Green Smoothie
- Tomato, avocado sandwich (mmmmmm) I sliced the tomato and avocado in my truck after the race to keep it fresh.
- as much water as possible.
I prepared and packed everything the night before the race. I made a large green smoothie and divided it into a mason jar and a thermos. I filled two water bottles with Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator and placed them in the fridge. I put the fruit and sandwich fixings in a lunch bag and set the coffee so that it would be ready for my 4:00AM alarm. The nutrition worked out well. I had a few hamstring cramps on the run, but I think that was more from killing myself on the bike. I didn’t train on my bike much, so the last 30 minutes of the bike were painful. That made the first 3.5 miles of the run excruciating. I honestly didn’t think I was going to make it, and then magically at mile 4 I felt fantastic. My run pace jumped from about 9:45 per mile to 7:45 per mile and I finished the half marathon feeling pretty good.
I think I will try to work in one more hydrator and a few more dates, but other than that this plan worked great. Let me know if you try it out. I’d love to know if it works for you.